Listen on your favourite podcast platform
or stream on YouTube with subtitles
Oliver is joined by Sophie Richard, art historian, museum specialist and acclaimed writer, as we explore art museums in Japan of every variety. From her training at École du Louvre, Sophie has visited museums across the archipelago, broadening her understanding of what a museum can be and inspiring her to write a book on capturing this for the non-Japanese speaking art lover.
Read Sophie’s book, The Art Lover’s Guide to Japanese Museums.
Museums by order of mention:
- Hara Museum ARC (Gunma Prefecture)
- Archi-Depot Museum (Tokyo)
- Teshima Art Museum (Kagawa Prefecture)
- Kyu Asakura House (Tokyo)
- Izamui Noguchi Garden Museum (Shikoku)
- Kan Yasuda Sculpture Museum (Hokkaido)
- D. T. Suzuki Musuem (Kanazawa)
- Edo Tokyo Museum (Tokyo)
- Intermediatheque (Tokyo)
- Byodoin Temple Museum (Kyoto)
- Nagi Museum Of Contemporary Art (Okayama)
- Towada Art Center (Aomori)
- teamLab Borderless (Tokyo)
- Enoura Observatory (Kanagawa)
- Takenaka Carpentry Tools Museum (Kobe)
- Nezu Museum (Tokyo)
- Asakura Museum of Sculpture (Tokyo)
- Benesse Art Site Naoshima
So ends the second series of Beyond Japan! As Oliver starts his PhD in the autumn, the third series of Beyond Japan will continue with monthly instalments on the first Thursday of every month from September 2022. In the meantime, do get in touch and let us know what you have enjoyed and what you might like added to the series – we would be particularly interested in knowing if the addition of transcriptions and subtitles has improved the experience for you.
Image and audio credits
Intro-outro music: jasonszklarek / MotionElements.com
[L] The Art Lover’s Guide to Japanese Museums.
[R] Oliver at the D T Suzuki Museum (2015). Photograph courtesy of Chhorvy.
Copyright © 2022 Oliver Moxham, ℗ 2022 Oliver Moxham. May be freely distributed for education purposes.
You must log in to post a comment.